primary source analysis 5
If you are new to Canvas, review the Canvas Student Guide Assignment Submissions Video (Links to an external site.)
PSA #1: Native American Children and Assimilation in Boarding Schools PDF
• Southern Workman and Hampton School Record, “Columbia’s Roll Call” (1892)
• Edna Dean Proctor, “The Indian’s Appeal” (1892)
The above sources are located in your textbook: Reading American Horizons, Document 16.5, pg. 180-181
• Zitkala-Sa, Impressions of Childhood in American Indian Stories (1921)
Prompt: What steps did boarding schools and missionaries take to assimilate Native American children and how did these efforts affect the children?
• Use the lecture, readings, and videos to help you understand the historical context of the primary sources, but base your prompt answer/argument and the bulk of your paper on information found in the required primary sources.
• The primary sources MUST be cited in your paper so I know where the information that you are discussing came from. This is true for all papers; you must explain where you are getting your information from.
• Consider the following questions when you are writing your essay. Who wrote the primary source and how did their social location (race, class, gender, sexuality, etc.) influence their writing and the argument they made in the primary source. There is always an argument of some kind in primary sources; some are more obvious than others.
• Papers must be 1.5 pages in length and should follow standard formatting (typed, double-spaced, 12 pt. Times New Roman font, 1 inch margins).
• Your paper must have:
• An argument (prompt answer), which you underline and state at the beginning of your paper.
• At least 3 cited examples from the primary sources to support or prove your argument
• An introduction, body paragraphs, and a conclusion
• DO NOT use outside research and do not plagiarize. Plagiarism will be reported to Student Affairs as per the syllabus.
• Your paper must be uploaded to Canvas by the due date. It should be uploaded as a .doc, .docx, or .pdf. Do not upload .pages or google docs. You can convert pages and google docs to a .doc or .pdf format. If I cannot read your work it will not be accepted.
• Use the checklist to verify that you completed all aspects of the assignment.
□ 1.5 page length, used standard formatting
□ Essay format: introduction, body paragraphs, conclusion
□ Clearly written, proofread, and spell-checked
□ Specifically answered all parts of the prompt
□ Underlined argument and supported it well with at least 3 pieces of evidence
□ Used all required sources and cited them correctly
□ Did not use outside research and did not plagiarize
Needs help with similar assignment?
We are available 24x7 to deliver the best services and assignment ready within 3-4 hours? Order a custom-written, plagiarism-free paperGet Answer Over WhatsApp Order Paper Now
Do you have an upcoming essay or assignment due?
All of our assignments are originally produced, unique, and free of plagiarism.If yes Order Paper Now